Simple Sharing WordPress Widget

by strx on November 15, 2010

or

Ive created and shared another WordPress Plugin you can view on my sidebar.

It is the Strx Simple Sharing Sidebar Widget and let you add your preferred social network buttons in the order you want and choose from Digg, Twitter, Facebook, Stumble, Reddit and Google Buzz (let me know if you need other services).

VERSION 2.0 UPDATES:

• You can share your blog also using: fbshare, blend, poke, bump, retweet and delicious
  • The title can be internationalized and in the three levels supported (Home, Pages and Posts)
  • There are more configuration options to play with

It is very simple to configure and requires no technical knowledge, but you can also configure advanced CSS properties simple inserting them directly on the Widget Config window.

It share the current page shown, and the title can be configured as dynamic; so for the main page it will be Share This Site, for posts Share This Post and for pages Share This Page.

Download this plugin from WordPress official site.

Make us of my Widget Helper Class.

Donations appreciated, thanks.

46 comments

Hi, I really like this sidebar.

However, I have an annoying problem with it. I have tested it with a new page that I added to my website, and when it posts it to my Facebook profile, it adds a picture that I do not want. This pic was on my webpage sidebar as a thumbnail for one of my links to another website.

I deleted the link altogether to try and get rid of the picture it was attaching on Facebook, but somehow the picture remains. The picture is from another website, so it’s not cool that I post it as one of mine. How can I get rid of , or better yet, choose my own thumbnail that will show up on Facebook profiles?

I inserted a picture in my content of the page and hoped it would choose that instead. Nope.

Any help?

by Michelle on November 15, 2010 at 20:04. Reply #

Hi Michelle, i don’t know how facebook choose the image, but when I click on I like, the only thing I see on my FB profile is a simple text that says

Francesco’s like strx.it

Nothing more, no images…

I don’t know, sorry. I’ve generated the button code from here:
try to ask to FB developers.

Thank you, Francesco.

by strx on November 15, 2010 at 23:31. Reply #

Thanks for this very sweet feature.

I’ve tested it today, I have only 1 problem.

When I publish my page on twitter (through the widget obviously), it doesnt seem to update the count. Its been like 30 mins now, and only 1 out of 10 posts or so seemed to be updated to a ’1′ in the widget.

I’ve looked at http://dev.twitter.com/pages/tweet_button – and they say theres a line to fix that, I was wondering if thats implemented in the widget already? Or maybe i’m just impatient and I should wait for it to update.. :P

Thanks in advance!
Dave

by Dave on November 17, 2010 at 18:01. Reply #

I’m also having some problems with the twitter button…sometimes it does not update, like you said.

What is the line to fix? Can you be more precise about where you have read it?

Thanks, Francesco.

by strx on November 17, 2010 at 22:41. Reply #

Should add Delicious to the splay of social sites. It’s pretty popular.

by Zachariah on November 18, 2010 at 00:51. Reply #

I know, I use it but I haven’t found anything working well on the sidebar.

Do you have some links for delicious button? Thanks

by strx on November 18, 2010 at 08:40. Reply #

Hi i just thought id post and let you know your blog is messt up on the Skyfire 2.0.

by Burton Haynes on November 19, 2010 at 01:24. Reply #

I’ll check this, thanks

by strx on November 19, 2010 at 10:30. Reply #

Bonjour, suite au téléchargement du pluging, au moment de l’activation, j’ai ce message d’erreur

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CLASS in /homez.184/pizzadum/www/wp-content/plugins/strx-simple-sharing-sidebar-widget/strx-widget.php on line 3

Auriez vous une solution à me proposer

merci

by fanion on November 20, 2010 at 18:01. Reply #

Which version of PHP and WordPress do you have?

by strx on November 20, 2010 at 18:29. Reply #

[...] more from the original source: Simple Sharing WordPress Widget | Strx Blog Tags: [...]

by wp-popular.com » Blog Archive » Simple Sharing WordPress Widget | Strx Blog on November 25, 2010 at 19:57. Reply #

I am actually excited with such topic

by BarbiePrincesssv on December 1, 2010 at 01:04. Reply #

Insightful content. I am going to take some time to ponder this website:)

by Mao Demichiel on December 1, 2010 at 14:32. Reply #

Activating this plug-in results in this error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CLASS in /home/abc123/public_html/wb/wp-content/plugins/strx-simple-sharing-sidebar-widget/strx-widget.php on line 3

Wordpress 3.0.3
PHP 4.4.9

by Wil on December 27, 2010 at 18:00. Reply #

I use abstract PHP classes, supported from PHP 5…
You need to upgrade PHP.

I’m sorry, Bye.

by strx on December 28, 2010 at 09:56. Reply #

I am trying out your widget on my clients site. I want to make the icons about 15% smaller and can’t find code. Can you help?

by suzanne on December 30, 2010 at 00:01. Reply #

Buttons code (and sizes) are taken directly from service providers (facebook, twitter, etc…) so I can’t specify a size, it is automatic.

Thanks, Bye

by strx on January 2, 2011 at 16:19. Reply #

Hi! I really like your plugin and I’m trying to configure version 2.0.2, but having a little trouble.

When I add line “facebook, twitter, digg” to the Supported Sites field the buttons that show up on the site are facebook, facebook, digg – and no twitter. However, if I add “facebook, fbshare, twitter, digg” I get two facebook like buttons, twitter, digg… And it doesn’t show facebook share. Is there something I’m doing wrong? I”m on WP 3.0.4.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you for your time!
JK

by JK on January 24, 2011 at 20:08. Reply #

Thanks for the app which I have added to my blog :)

Hope it works…

by Catherine Bowen on February 3, 2011 at 21:58. Reply #

Hi Francesco,

Please see my blog and please help me get to why the share icons are not showing up. The widget title can be seen in the sidebar but nothing else.

Cheers

Daniel

by Daniel on February 28, 2011 at 18:24. Reply #

I would like to put the social icons on my single.php. Is that possible?

by Picallo on March 1, 2011 at 15:38. Reply #

I think yes, have you tried?

by strx on March 7, 2011 at 19:04. Reply #

can u tell me how to remove: tweet via-you :)

br,
mladen

by mladen on March 8, 2011 at 03:38. Reply #

yes, replace me with you when window opens :)

No, it’s not possible for now, I’ll have to do it on settings page.

Thanks

by strx on March 8, 2011 at 13:15. Reply #

Hi, I repaced it in a strx-simple-sharing-sidebar-widget/strx-simple-sharing-sidebar-widget.php code and it seems to work.

Cheers, and thank you very much for good looking plug in.

by mladen on March 13, 2011 at 21:21. Reply #

When will you add LinkedIn (InShare) ? LinkedIn is one of the most important Social Netwok at this moment. Also would it be nice if you look at iframe use and W3C error’s ;) With other words when will you release an update?

by Berrie on March 25, 2011 at 10:43. Reply #

Linked InShare will be added soon…what you mean with iframe and W3C erros?

by strx on March 26, 2011 at 15:24. Reply #

LinkedIn InShare added, simply write linkedin in plugin config

by strx on April 16, 2011 at 15:47. Reply #

Bonjour Francesco, I just uploaded your Simple Share Widget. Works great. Jeanne Noel

by Jeanne Noel Chalfont on April 17, 2011 at 07:35. Reply #

Thx! :) LinkedIn is included now, good work!

by Berrie Pelser on April 18, 2011 at 08:45. Reply #

[...] information visit page http://www.strx.it/2010/11/simple-sharing-wordpress-widget/ Posted in Web Design & Development | « New Version of Google Analytics Now Available [...]

by Simple Sharing WordPress Widget | Kilop.Net on April 23, 2011 at 01:23. Reply #

Any headway on the count and twitter button issue? Not a huge deal for me at the moment since I haven’t done a hard launch on my site yet, but would be nice to see this working. Everything else looks good!

by 98 Percent Chimp on May 11, 2011 at 20:43. Reply #

Which issue?

by strx on May 14, 2011 at 00:09. Reply #

Hi, I really like this widget and I think it would be fantastic if we could have a “Google +1″ badge in the options as it’s the hot new thing. Implementation would be appreciated, Thanks, Mark

by Mark on July 4, 2011 at 12:36. Reply #

Brillaint widget, just what I have been looking for, any way to set either the distance from the left the icons start or to centralise them?

And google +1 (of course :P )

Whatever, just donated as I think this is great. Thanks

by Satinbow on July 12, 2011 at 21:18. Reply #

Thank you sooooooooooooo much for the G+1 update! Needless to say, I’ve +1ed this page!

by Mark on July 14, 2011 at 10:17. Reply #

great plugin but the facebook like is not working properly.

For some reason the box gets blocked by the social icons next to it.

by Jason on July 21, 2011 at 06:09. Reply #

Small issue: Leaving the title blank in the widget options panel doesn’t work. After clicking Save, the default title (Share this %type) returns.

by David on August 11, 2011 at 20:04. Reply #

Dear developer,

Great plugin mate! Only one issue pretty similar to the one described above people have with the twitter counter. In my case my FBSHARE button is not updating. It’s been shared on FB 80 times I can see on http://www.graph.facebook.com/MYSITE.EX. Sometimes the counter is there, but most of the times it isn’t.

Do you know if this is solvable? Or is a facebook bug?

Thaks in advance for your reaction and effort.

Cheers,

Youri

by Youri on September 6, 2011 at 00:22. Reply #

Hi, thanks for the plugin!

Is there a way to get a pop over, or lightbox type of effect for sharing a status update, rather than just showing a small portion of the facebook status bar?

Thanks for your time!

by Kat Landreth on October 14, 2011 at 03:12. Reply #

Is possible to avoid the sidebar in posts and pages and show it only in the home page?

by Hernan on October 18, 2011 at 06:11. Reply #

Well, I just uploaded Dynamic Widgets plugin so I can choose the pages/posts I want to show the widget.
Thanks anyway and congrats for Strx plugin!

by Hernan on October 19, 2011 at 01:09. Reply #

Hi, I would like to know if is able to set the same counters for every post’s page. For example, right now if you have 45 posts divided in 4 pages, every page show their own counters. I’m wondering if it is possible to unify them, so the widget can show the total amount of ‘Like’, ‘Tweet’, etc, that the site have.

by Hernan on November 14, 2011 at 01:00. Reply #

Hi,

Thanks for the great plugin – is there any way to remove the counter bubbles ( with css or something like that )

Thanks for your time.

Thanks

by Bassy on December 19, 2011 at 22:18. Reply #

Hi,

Thanks for a cool plugin. However, Facebook have changed the Like button behavior. Check out what happens when you click like on this page: http://www.moremeditation.com/

FB has added a field you can write in, but that field is hidden inside the button space.

Can you fix this?

by Harald on February 21, 2012 at 10:41. Reply #

Problem with the facebook social icon on Simple Sharing. It’s not showing up. that’s our most important one. Is this being worked on?

by Lili on April 2, 2012 at 22:21. Reply #